Tuesday January 1 2013
Setting Your Goals & Resolutions for 2013
We know that many of you look at the New Year as a good time to get started with or improve upon your fitness. It’s also a great time to start planning your 2013 season and challenge yourself with a goal event.
1… Goals should be realistic. If you have been having trouble finishing rides or races with the group, setting a goal to place in the top five of a race you have never finished with the group would probably be too aggressive at this point in time. There are goals for every level of rider – you just have think about them.
2. Goals should be measurable. Goals are clear and quantifiable. When you set goals, there should be some way you will be able to measure your success. You should be able to say: “I did ‘x’, so I achieved my goal.”
3. Goals should be challenging. Your goals should stretch you and push you to greater heights. Goal setting is intended to help you improve. If your goals aren’t challenging, you won’t see many gains.
4. Your goals should be YOURS. One of the most common mistakes I see a lot of riders make is that of acquiring some else’s goals. Your goals have to motivate you. Your goals need to help you get on your bike when it is cold and wet; when it’s 5:30 in the morning; when you get off track due to sickness or injury. If you start working towards someone else’s goal, you’re setting yourself up for failure.
Typical Goals and Coaches replies
1. Question: I want to be the next Bradley Wiggins! I’m a 4th Cat rider at the moment.
Answer: Let’s look at shorter term goals first such as winning a race and gaining your 3rd cat licence, 2nd cat, 1st cat, Elite then Pro!
2. Question: I want to gain a Gold Standard in my 1st 100 mile Sportive; I’ve never cycled more than 40 miles!
Answer: Let’s get you finishing your 1st 100 mile event with a realistic goal time and then in your following Sportives work up from Bronze to Silver and then Gold.
3. Question: I want to lose 10kg because I’m overweight
Answer: An achievable goal but let’s plan to lose 1kg per week over 3 MThs so we have mini goals to reach that main goal and leave room for the odd week where you don’t lose any weight.
Koolstof can help you with setting your goals for FREE. Just sign up for any monthly 1-1 plan option and we’ll set them with you.
Stay on top of your fitness goals with a Koolstof training plan
To help get you in shape for your goal event we have launched six new training plans. Each one will get you in great shape and keep you motivated all the way to the start line. Each Koolstof training plan has been created by experienced coaches and provides a great way to keep on track and stay motivated with the support of the Koolstof community. For more information visit the Koolstof website.
Book a ticket for the Training Hub to get yourself tested.
Tel 01392 247519